How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29577
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

as a general contractor, I signed a 1099 for a repair job that

Customer Question

as a general contractor, I signed a 1099 for a repair job that totaled 14,273.00.How much will i get taxed for this job
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

You need to report in box 1 schedule C GROSS payments that you received.

If you receive reporting form 1099MISC - you should have the gross proceeds on that form. Otherwise - you need to account for gross proceeds in your books.


The business income and expenses will be reported on the schedule C -

The net income (after deductions)will be reported on the form 1040 line 12 -

If the business has net income over $400, it may be required to file Schedule SE, Self-Employment Tax and net income is likely self-employment income and 15.3% self-employment tax would be required (13.3% in 2011).

Self-employment taxes from schedule SE will go to the form 1040 line 56 -

Also - you will deduct half of self-employment taxes on the line 27.
Generally - that all you needs. Please review all possible deductions - that might help to reduce tax liability.

To estimate your tax liability follow these steps:

1. estimate your deductions and NET business income.

2. you will be subject of 13.3% self-employment taxes on your NET business income.

3. you will pay income taxes based on your all income (including NET business income) - you may consider 15% as a very raw estimate.

4. Louisiana state income taxes are between 2% and 6% depending on your total income.

Let me know if you need any clarification.