ShawnA
ShawnA, CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
Experience:  CPA, Professor, CFP. CGMA, Business Consultant, Professor, PFS I have decades of experience answering these questions.
15641319

I was instructed by the IRS to report embezzlement by a former

I was instructed by the IRS to report embezzlement by a former employee on form 3494A, and not a 1099, because sending a 1099 to a receipiant who has also received a w2 from the same company can cause conflict. They referred me to Rule 77-464. My company's CPA says that this is incorrect, and that we have to send a 1099 to the former employee, because he is filing a form 4684 to claim a loss for my company, to meet the requirements of sections 6721 and 6722 of the IRS code. So - when we send the 1099, against IRS instructions, will this be likely to triger an audit? My company is not filing criminal charges against the former employee.
Category: Tax
Expert:  ShawnA replied 5 years ago.

Shawn P Adamo :

Hello. My specialty is focusing on YOUR Financial needs. Financial Planner/Business Owner for 20 years. CPA,PFS,QFP,GMMA.

Shawn P Adamo :

I agree woth your CPA. As a CPAm yself i would file a 1099. This should in NO way trigger an audit.

Shawn P Adamo :

God bless you for being as forgiving as you are. i'm not that sure I would be as charitable.

Shawn P Adamo :

If this does not answer your question please let me know. Also let me know if you have additional questions.

This is my full time job and I only get paid if you accept my answer. We work on the trust system at JA.

If you understand my answer and have no more questions, please accept and please eave positive feedback (if so inclined). Thank you.

Shawn P Adamo :

oops. Sorry I see you have entered the chat.