How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29646
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I file my taxes via TurboTax and mail in my Form 982?

Resolved Question:

Can I file my taxes via TurboTax and mail in my Form 982 separately? Do I also add my 1099-C which will show I own about $40,000 and then hope they forgive this amount, or leave it off and just add the 982?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Expert: Lev replied 3 years ago.

Hi and welcome to JustAnswer! You may E-file with Form 980 – there is no need to mail this form in separately. You do not need to add your 1099C Form – the IRS already has that form – it was sent by the creditor.


There is no 982 with TurboTax, so I can't e-file this form with them. I need to know if I can still e-file this way and then just mail in the 982. Also, do I enter the 1099C on my tax return?


You can e-file with a form 982 - see for reference -

You do not need to enter form 1099C if the total amount of forgiven debt is excluded.
You only need to enter part of the forgiven debt that is not excluded - it is reported on form 1040 line 21.


What does excluded mean?


Excluded means - is not included into taxable income - that what you do by filing form 982. To get into Form 982 in TurboTax – Select the Tools icon (upper right of window) – Choose Topic Search – Type in Form 982 and click GO. Another way is to enter 1099-C or 1099-A – and you will be prompted for Form 982. Let me know if you need any help.

Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you