Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

on form CSA 1099-R, the taxable amount listed in box 2a. is

Customer Question
"unknown". I cannot go any...
on form CSA 1099-R, the taxable amount listed in box 2a. is "unknown". I cannot go any further online until an amount is entered. how is this figured?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
4/15/2012
Tax Professional: rramsook, Enrolled Agent replied 5 years ago
rramsook
rramsook, Enrolled Agent

rramsook : Hello, what is the code shown in box 7 of the 1099-R form
Customer:

7-NONDISABILITY

rramsook : Do you have an amount In box 5?
Customer:

no box 5 on form

rramsook : Ok Is anything checked of in box 2b
Customer:

no box 2b

rramsook : Ok the amount in box 1 will be reported in box 2 as taxable
Customer:

how do I figure the taxable amount in box 1

rramsook : The amount in reported in box 1 which is the gross dIstribution will be the taxable amount as well
Customer:

so in box 2a, which is listed as unknown, I enter the same amount listed in box 1 as my taxable amount, correct? why didn't the people filling out this form do that?

rramsook : Yes that is
rramsook : Correct
rramsook : Sometimes they make that error. Was box 2 filled out last year?
Customer:

no it was also listed as unknown

rramsook : Oh ok, not sure why they are not reporting a taxable amount .
Customer:

me either. I think you have answered my question. Thank you.

rramsook : Your very welcome
rramsook : Thanks for using just answer
rramsook
rramsook, Enrolled Agent
rramsook
rramsook
rramsook, Enrolled Agent