InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer
Experience:  CTEC and IRS Registered Tax Return Preparer
64379840

Is there a time limit as to how far back the California Franchise

Is there a time limit as to how far back the California Franchise Tax Board can go back to collect unpaid income taxes?

InfoTaxes :

If the taxpayer filed a fraudulent tax return or if the taxpayer did not file a tax return then there is no time limit for California Franchise Board to asses taxes

InfoTaxes :

Now, if you filed your tax return and you owed money then California Franchise Tax Board statute of limitation is 20 years

InfoTaxes :

For many years, no statute of limitations existed on the collection of an income or franchise tax delinquency. Beginning in 2006 2, a statute of limitations (SOL) on our collection actions went into effect.

R&TC Section 19255 was created to require us to permanently abate unpaid debts after 20 years, and established specific circumstances under which debts will remain due and payable beyond the 20-year period.

InfoTaxes :

Let me know if you need more information and remember to click ACCEPT if I have answered your question!

Customer:

Thank you for your help.