Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Wisconsin. Received a letter from wisconsin dept. of revenue.

Customer Question
Wisconsin. Received a letter...
Wisconsin. Received a letter from wisconsin dept. of revenue. claimed i did my taxes wrong for 2010, which they are correct. they are now access heavy penalties, interest, etc... i found i did do it wrong, but i did not claim my property and deductions correctly, so in fact i will not owe taxes, i assume i need to file an amended 2010 return. any advice on how to do that? should i attach a cover letter explaining what happened? they lost my first return and i had to send in a second, which they put on an additional penalty, so i think i need to argue that.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
4/13/2012
Tax Professional: Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP replied 5 years ago
Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP

TaxWhisperer :

Hi, there. You are on the right track. I see you are a regular on Justanswer.com. At some point, if you want to upload your proposed letter I can review it for you. But you are right. You want to prepare an amended return that reflects all of their concerns but also includes the deductions you did not include. You would send them a cover letter, a copy of their notice and the amended return, and explain that your amended return is a refund (I hope) and that therefore no interest or penalties should be assessed.

Customer:

you are correct. i was moving from wisconsin to nebraska. house did sell, then i got into a discussion about residency requirements, etc.... I was using Tax Act and compared two different scenarios and sent the wrong one in. thank you for you help and i will send you a sample of the letter. i also have one other question on this, so i will send it as a separate question.

Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP

Just put attn: TaxWhisperer in the line.

Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP
Charles Markham
Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP