Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I have filed form W2 for home care employee but made a mistake

in calculating FICA at...
I have filed form W2 for home care employee but made a mistake in calculating FICA at 6.2% instead of 4.2% and filed form W3. Discover error in preparing schedule H form 1040. Can I correct by correcting form W2 and send together with corrected form W3 to social security and refund over withholding to employees ?. Problem is that employees have filed their tax returns already and corrected W2 will not change tax return the Boxes for FICA have changed. How do I instruct employees to correct ?
Answered in 1 hour by:
4/4/2012
geedubya55
geedubya55, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)

Thank you for using Just Answer.

You can correct the situation by filing a form W-2C (corrected W-2) and sending it in with a form W-3C. This form basically amends the W-2's that were filed earlier. You will also give a copy of the W-2C to the employees and refund to them the excess social security withholdings. The employees will not need to amend their personal tax returns because the corrected W-2 will not cause any differences on their returns.

I might also add that the 4.2% social security rate for employees has been extended for the entire year of 2012 so if you have been withholding too much so far in 2012, that excess should also be repaid to the employee.

geedubya55
geedubya55
geedubya55