How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask geedubya55 Your Own Question
geedubya55, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 358
Experience:  17 years experience in business and individual taxation specializing in small business and farming
Type Your Tax Question Here...
geedubya55 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have filed form W2 for home care employee but made a mistake

This answer was rated:

I have filed form W2 for home care employee but made a mistake in calculating FICA at 6.2% instead of 4.2% and filed form W3. Discover error in preparing schedule H form 1040. Can I correct by correcting form W2 and send together with corrected form W3 to social security and refund over withholding to employees ?. Problem is that employees have filed their tax returns already and corrected W2 will not change tax return the Boxes for FICA have changed. How do I instruct employees to correct ?

Thank you for using Just Answer.


You can correct the situation by filing a form W-2C (corrected W-2) and sending it in with a form W-3C. This form basically amends the W-2's that were filed earlier. You will also give a copy of the W-2C to the employees and refund to them the excess social security withholdings. The employees will not need to amend their personal tax returns because the corrected W-2 will not cause any differences on their returns.


I might also add that the 4.2% social security rate for employees has been extended for the entire year of 2012 so if you have been withholding too much so far in 2012, that excess should also be repaid to the employee.

geedubya55 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you