How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3471
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I claim mileage I drove in someone elses vehicle for work....I

Resolved Question:

Can I claim mileage I drove in someone else's vehicle for work....I am self-employed and have used a friend's vehicle for the year...I kept all the gas receipts and repair bills I have paid but the mileage is a bigger deduction....can I take the mileage deduction or not..again the vehicle is not mine...please help
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

Q: Can I claim mileage I drove in someone else's vehicle for work

A: As per IRS rules, you have to own the vehicle to be able to claim the mileage deduction. SEE BELOW.


To use the standard mileage rate, you must own or lease the car and:

You must not operate five or more cars at the same time, as in a fleet operation

You must not have claimed a depreciation deduction using the Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) on the car in an earlier year, including any additional first-year depreciation or "bonus depreciation" or any method other than straight-line for its estimated useful life

You must not have claimed a Section 179 deduction on the car; and you must not have claimed actual expenses after 1997 for a car you leased, and

You cannot use the standard mileage rate if you are a rural mail carrier who received a "qualified reimbursement"

Further, to use the standard mileage rate for a car you own, you must choose to use it in the first year the car is available for use in your business. Then, in later years, you can choose to use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses.


Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168 and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions