Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I claim mileage I drove in someone elses vehicle for work....I

Customer Question
Can I claim mileage I...
Can I claim mileage I drove in someone else's vehicle for work....I am self-employed and have used a friend's vehicle for the year...I kept all the gas receipts and repair bills I have paid but the mileage is a bigger deduction....can I take the mileage deduction or not..again the vehicle is not mine...please help
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
4/2/2012
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 5 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

Q: Can I claim mileage I drove in someone else's vehicle for work

A: As per IRS rules, you have to own the vehicle to be able to claim the mileage deduction. SEE BELOW.

-----------------------------------------

To use the standard mileage rate, you must own or lease the car and:

You must not operate five or more cars at the same time, as in a fleet operation

You must not have claimed a depreciation deduction using the Modified Accelerated Cost Recovery System (MACRS) on the car in an earlier year, including any additional first-year depreciation or "bonus depreciation" or any method other than straight-line for its estimated useful life

You must not have claimed a Section 179 deduction on the car; and you must not have claimed actual expenses after 1997 for a car you leased, and

You cannot use the standard mileage rate if you are a rural mail carrier who received a "qualified reimbursement"

Further, to use the standard mileage rate for a car you own, you must choose to use it in the first year the car is available for use in your business. Then, in later years, you can choose to use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses.

REFERENCE SOURCE (IRS Topic 510):

http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc510.html

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant