Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I own 913 shares of LYB stock. It is a Dutch company (foreign)

Customer Question
I own 913 shares of...
I own 913 shares of LYB stock. It is a Dutch company (foreign) traded on the NYSE. The total value on 12/31/12 was about $29663.37 and the peak value in May was $43,933.56.

Reading the instructions for form 8938, I conclude since I file joint return that I do not need to file the form. Confirm?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
4/2/2012
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

First of all on form 8938 you are reporting foreign financial account - not foreign assets.

Thus if your 913 shares of LYB stock are held with the US broker - nothing you need to report.

If however you are holding shares in the foreign brokerage account - then such account is reportable.

In additional - you are required to file the form 8939 only if your total value in foreign financial accounts is above $50,000.

If that is only your foreign account - and the value is below $50,000 - no need to file form 8939.

So far based on information provided - you are not required to file form 8939.

Let me know if you need any help.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
I do not need any more help

Please be sure to bookmark this page for future reference.

You might want to come back later.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor