Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I commune to New York to work everyday. Can I claim the expenses

Customer Question
on 2106-EZ? I sepnt about...
I commune to New York to work everyday. Can I claim the expenses on 2106-EZ? I sepnt about $5000 on commne from my home to New Yor city. But the pre tax money I got last year was about 220$*12
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
4/2/2012
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 5 years ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good evening. As set forth in IRS Publication 463: "Commuting expenses. You cannot deduct the costs of taking a bus, trolley, subway, or taxi, or of driving a car between your home and your main or regular place of work. These costs are personal commuting expenses. You cannot deduct commuting expenses no matter how far your home is from your regular place of work. You cannot deduct commuting expenses even if you work during the commuting trip." I'm sorry!

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney