Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can funds deposited in a ROTH IRA account be withdrawn at anytime?

Customer Question
if they are withdrawn what...
Can funds deposited in a ROTH IRA account be withdrawn at anytime? if they are withdrawn what is the tax rate applicable and is there a fine as well on top?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2012
Tax Professional: Bill, Enrolled Agent replied 5 years ago
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent

Yes, funds deposited in a Roth IRA can be withdrawn at any time. If the funds deposited represent Roth IRA contributions then those amounts can be withdrawn tax-free and penalty free. If an amount in excess of the contributions is withdrawn then that amount would be subject to income taxes if it is not a qualified distribution (and a 10% penalty if before age 59 1/2.

Conversion amounts can also be withdrawn tax-free. However, if conversion amounts are withdrawn prior to 5 years and before age 59 1/2 then there is a 10% penalty.

Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Bill
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent