How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29645
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I got married in Dec 2011. We are about to

Resolved Question:

My husband and I got married in Dec 2011.
We are about to file his 2011 taxes (married but filing single) and its asking for my social security number. I dont have one yet because we are still going through the status adjustment process. Can I use my alien number? The page would not proceed without my SSN.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
Without your SSN - you will not be able to file electronically - and may only print and mail the tax return to the IRS.
You may not use your Alien number in place of SSN - if you do so - the tax return will be rejected.
There is no such status "married but filing single" - the status your spouse should use is "married filing separate (MFS) - however with such status - many tax deductions and credits are disallowed.
You may consider to file a joint tax return - if you do so - you both will be treated as US residents for the whole 2011 tax year.
Since your immigration status is still in process - and you are not eligible for SSN - you may apply for ITIN.
If you decide to do so - you may file your tax return and an application for ITIN together.

Let me know if you need any clarification this matter.
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.
As long as he was married on the last day of the year - for tax purposes - he is treated as married for the whole year - and he may not use Single as his filing status.
He may only use a filing status "married filing separate (MFS) or "married filing jointly (MFJ).
Let me know if you need any help.