How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29800
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

On schedule A there is a place to deduct state income taxes

This answer was rated:

On schedule A there is a place to deduct state income taxes paid. Do I need to have documentation for amts I report in that space ? My W-2 does not show any state income taxes paid because I did not have any withheld. But I am sending a check for what I owe with my state tax return.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
On schedule A -
you report your state income tax paid in 2011 on line 5 - and need to check the box 1(a).
You report state income taxes paid - both withheld from paychecks and paid directly - during 2011.
If you are sending a check for what you owe with your state tax return NOW - that amount will be deducted on your 2012 tax return.
However - if you paid your state tax liability in 2011 with your 2010 tax return - that amount may be deducted on your 2011 tax return.

You do not need to send any documentation with your tax return.
However - in case of audit - you should be able to provide documents to support the amount you deducted.

Let me know if you need help with reporting.
Lev and 6 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you, that's very clear.
Thank goodness. At first they said my question was being reviewed by Ron the Ford certified Automotive Service Technician. I was starting to get worried : )
You probably put your question into incorrect category... but eventually - it was redirected properly - so that is not an issues - but might took some time...
I am glad to be helpful.
Let me know if you will need help with other tax related issues.