Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Hi, I converted an IRA ($90,000) into a Roth in 2010. I chose

Customer Question
Hi, I converted an IRA...
Hi, I converted an IRA ($90,000) into a Roth in 2010. I chose to split my tax payments, thus I just paid the tax (2011 tax) on the first half ($45,000). Next year (tax year 2012) the second half (remaining $45,000) will be due. I have just been presented with a great real estate investment opportunity, but I will need to take an early withdraw from my Roth ($65,000) to make it happen. Since it has not yet been 5 years, I will have to take a 10% penalty. Question, If I take an early withdrawal now (2012), what wil be the tax implications? Would I just continue to pay the second part of the split as planned next year (tax year 2012) and thus my only hit would be the penalty? Thanks.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2012
Tax Professional: Bill, Enrolled Agent replied 5 years ago
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Since you already included $45,000 of the $90,000 conversion on your 2011 return and will be including the other $45,000 on your 2012 return, there will be no additional income taxes due for withdrawing $65,000 in 2012. However, if you are under age 59 1/2 there will be a penalty of 10% ($6,500) since it is within the 5 year conversion period. If you are over age 59 1/2 the 10% penalty will not apply. I also assume that you have no other Roth IRA accounts with prior contributions or conversions.
Hi Bill. That is correct, I have no other Roth accounts with prior contributions or conversions. So... the IRS will understand that the 65,000 early withdrawal is from the same Roth account I have paid (and will be paying) on? My concern is that I will get a 1099-R saying I took an early withdrawal on the 65,000 and the IRS will then add that to my income even though the 65,000 has already been accounted for.

You will file Form 8606 with your 2012 tax return and complete Part III claiming $90,000 as your basis on line 24. - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8606.pdf This should clarify it to the IRS since you will also be completing lines 26 - 35 to reflect the taxable amount from the 2010 conversion - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8606.pdf

Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Bill
Bill
Bill, Enrolled Agent