Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A professional artist creates a piece of art. The Art is contribured

A professional artist creates a...
A professional artist creates a piece of art. The Art is contribured to a charity. The art piece is immediately sold at auction for $1500.

Can the artist write off the $1500 as a gift of appreciated property?
4/1/2012
Richard, Tax Attorney

Good afternoon. Unfortunately, no. There is a distinction to be made between the people who create the art and the artists who have bought the art. While people who bought the art, if they satisfy certain conditions, are entitled to deduct the fair market value of the art, the artists themselves are only entitled to deduct the cost of the materials that went into the work.

I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!

If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.

If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.

If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.

Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.

Richard, Tax Attorney

Interesting. Thank you for your answer.
You're welcome. Happy to help!
Richard, Tax Attorney
Richard, Tax Attorney