Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

A Frind out of work for 4 years was hit by a car crossing the

Customer Question
street and the driver had...
A Frind out of work for 4 years was hit by a car crossing the street and the driver had no insurance. He was almost killed and I have had him living in my home since Aug.2010..paying all his expenses and driving him to the VA for medical surgeries, He has no income. can I put him on my 2011 income tax. He was really a street person.He just completed surgery on his leg and has shoulder surgery planned at the VA. A Veteran of the Marines.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2012
Tax Professional: Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert replied 5 years ago
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Yes, as long as he was a member of your household for the entire year and you furnished more than 1/2 of his support, he is a US Citizen (there are substitutes for this also, but probably not a problem), he had no income and did not file a joint return with anyone, you can claim him as a dependent.

Stephen E. Grizey :

It is interesting that you say he was turned down for SNAP (the new name for food stamps) as I can see no reason that he wouldn't qualify for food stamps;

Customer:

The accident happened in FL. I drove down and brought him back to Al as he couldn't get help from the Fla VA . The man has nothing.. We help all the peole around the World and when we try to help our own ...to no avail. By the way..May I print this out?

Stephen E. Grizey :

If his injuries are severe enough and permanent, he would qualify for Social Security Disability and that would probably be worth pursuing as it is routine to be turned down initially; the problem is that there is no partial disability in the SSDI program, you are either disabled or your not.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Further, he should qualify for SSI which isn't a lot, but if he has no means of support and has no income, I don't know why he would be turned down for that; SSA usually has you make out a dual application for both programs.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Sure, you can print it out, but it is for your personal use, not to be part of the NY Times or the next "Great American Novel".

Stephen E. Grizey :

Please remember to click on the green "ACCEPT", or the "smiley face" as appropriate; that is the only way we get credit for our work, even if you are on a subscription plan. Feedback, if you have time and bonuses, where you think they are warranted, are always most appreciated. Before or after you ACCEPT, I will be happy to answer any additional follow-up questions you may have. Thanks again for using our service.

If you'd like to contact me again, in the future, just ask for "Steve G" at the beginning of your question.

Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Stephen G.
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert