How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask R. Klein, EA Your Own Question
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3375
Experience:  Over 20 Years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
R. Klein, EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a client who has a year 1 partnership for rental property.

Customer Question

Have a client who has a year 1 partnership for rental property. When I put their K-1 info in to 1040 the loss is not carrying through to line 17. The loss is on line 2 of the 1065 k-1, bet rental real estate loss Why would that be? I have them as actively and materially participating on their k-1.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  R. Klein, EA replied 5 years ago.

Randalltax :

Whether someone is actively and materially participating, real estate, by definition, is a passive activity. If this client has an income over $125K and the client is NOT a real estate professional, then the loss is not allowed in the current period due to Passive Activity limitation.

JACUSTOMER-pkple5yg- :

What if they are a real estate professional and their income is over $125K?

Randalltax :

You have to find someplace in your program to indicate this situation applies.

Randalltax :

Under this scenario, the loss should be allowed.

Related Tax Questions