How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is regarding contribution to SEP - contributions were

This answer was rated:

This is regarding contribution to SEP - contributions were made for the years 2009 and 2010 while working as an independent contractor. During 2011 the independent contractor status changed to employee status effective from October 2011. Now what happens to the account.
Can we make more contributions to this account and take a deduction for the year 2011 on Sch. C.



The SEP is actually a traditional IRA that has the added function of allowing employer contributions.


You can continue to make contributions to the SEP only if you have income from self employment as a contractor. See,,id=211336,00.html


Or, you can combine the SEP into a traditional IRA and make contributions the same as any traditional IRA. Use a trustee to trustee transfer to avoid withholding.



Please ask if you need clarification.

Thank you.

jgordosea and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you