Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I AM A RI RESIDENT BUT WORK IN MASS. SHOULD I REPORT MY RI

Customer Question
RENTAL TO THE STATE OF...
I AM A RI RESIDENT BUT WORK IN MASS. SHOULD I REPORT MY RI RENTAL TO THE STATE OF MASS
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
4/1/2012
Tax Professional: Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant replied 5 years ago
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

Q: SHOULD I REPORT MY RI RENTAL TO THE STATE OF MASS

A: No, as a non-resident of Mass, you are only required to report Mass source income. SEE BELOW.

Massachusetts tax law distinguishes between residents and nonresidents. Residents are generally taxed on all of their income; nonresidents are only taxed on their Massachusetts source income. Nonresidents are required to file an income tax return with Massachusetts if their Massachusetts gross income (Massachusetts source income) exceeds either $8,000 or their prorated personal exemption, whichever is less.

REFERENCE SOURCE:

http://www.mass.gov/dor/individuals/filing-and-payment-information/guide-to-personal-income-tax/nonresidents.html#Determination

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you again for using JUST ANSWER.
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant