How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29558
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Got W2c. Only changes are box 3-6. Need amendment?

This answer was rated:

I received W2c for 2010.  I already filed the tax for 2010 last year.

Here are the boxes that has changes:
Box 3 Social security wages,
Box 4 Social security tax withheld,
Box 5 Medicare wages and tips,
Box 6 Medicare tax withheld.

All the numbers in the "correct information" column are less than the numbers on the "previously reported" column.

The other boxes are empty.

Do I need to file an amendment for my tax?
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
It is very unlikely that you need to amend your 2010 income tax return.
Because mainly you used amounts from box 1 and box 2 - and these amounts were not changed.

Amounts from boxes 3-6 are very rare used on your tax return.
Let me know if you need any help.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there any disadvantage if I send IRS an amendment?

I used turboTax to prepare it. I saw most of the boxes are empty on 1040X.
Because your taxable income is not changed - even you file your amended tax return - there would not be neither refund nor tax due - so - there would not be neither any advantage nor disadvantage.
Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So I know the W2C did not create any change to any information on my tax forms.

Is it ok to not file an amendment?
Yes - you may file an amended that return - that is not prohibited.
Because amended return will not change anything in your filing - you are not required to amend and the IRS would not ask you to amend.
If you were my client - I would suggest not to amend.

If you still decide to amend...

To amend your federal tax return - use form 1040X -

Be sure to enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of Form 1040X. The form has three columns. Column A shows original or adjusted figures from the original return. Column C shows the corrected figures. The difference between Columns A and C is shown in Column B. There is an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes being made and the reason for each change.

Because - there is no difference - all amounts in columns A and C will be same and in column B will be zeros.

If you decide to amend - you need to attach form W2C to your amended tax return.


Lev and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you