Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Got W2c. Only changes are box 3-6. Need amendment?

I received W2c for 2010. ...
I received W2c for 2010.  I already filed the tax for 2010 last year.

Here are the boxes that has changes:
Box 3 Social security wages,
Box 4 Social security tax withheld,
Box 5 Medicare wages and tips,
Box 6 Medicare tax withheld.

All the numbers in the "correct information" column are less than the numbers on the "previously reported" column.

The other boxes are empty.

Do I need to file an amendment for my tax?
4/1/2012
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Hi and welcome to Just Answer!
It is very unlikely that you need to amend your 2010 income tax return.
Because mainly you used amounts from box 1 and box 2 - and these amounts were not changed.

Amounts from boxes 3-6 are very rare used on your tax return.
Let me know if you need any help.
Is there any disadvantage if I send IRS an amendment?

I used turboTax to prepare it. I saw most of the boxes are empty on 1040X.
Because your taxable income is not changed - even you file your amended tax return - there would not be neither refund nor tax due - so - there would not be neither any advantage nor disadvantage.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
So I know the W2C did not create any change to any information on my tax forms.

Is it ok to not file an amendment?
Yes - you may file an amended that return - that is not prohibited.
Because amended return will not change anything in your filing - you are not required to amend and the IRS would not ask you to amend.
If you were my client - I would suggest not to amend.

If you still decide to amend...

To amend your federal tax return - use form 1040X - http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040x.pdf

Be sure to enter the year of the return you are amending at the top of Form 1040X. The form has three columns. Column A shows original or adjusted figures from the original return. Column C shows the corrected figures. The difference between Columns A and C is shown in Column B. There is an area on the back of the form to explain the specific changes being made and the reason for each change.

Because - there is no difference - all amounts in columns A and C will be same and in column B will be zeros.

If you decide to amend - you need to attach form W2C to your amended tax return.

Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor