How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jax Tax Your Own Question
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1408
Experience:  JD, LL.M in Business and Taxation, IRS Enrolled Agent. Expert in Business and Tax Transactions
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jax Tax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Question: I was insolvent in the year 2010. I filed in 2011

Customer Question

Question: I was insolvent in the year 2010. I filed in 2011 insolvency for 2010. I had received a 1099-C form of cancellation of debt for one of the credit cards in 2012, even thow that card was included in my debt in 2010, as I was unable to settle with the financial institution until 2011. Am I liable to declare this card as income in 2011, when it was listed as a debt in my 2010 year of insolvency?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jax Tax replied 5 years ago.
Yes, you must again file form 982 and claim insolvency to prevent it being income. The insolvency is judged immediately prior to the discharge. Just because it was a debt in 2010 does not mean it was discharged then.
In short, if you qualify you will have to claim insolvency again.