Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I work in NY and live in PA. NY city tax was not withheld on

Customer Question
my w-2. I will file...
I work in NY and live in PA. NY city tax was not withheld on my w-2. I will file PA local tax. In this case, do I have to file NY citi tax ? If so how can I file NY citi tax ? thanks
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
3/20/2012
Tax Professional: Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP replied 5 years ago
Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP

TaxWhisperer :

NYC does not tax non-residents (thankfully). You do not owe NYC income taxes.

TaxWhisperer :

For your reference, NYC taxes are collected on the NY state tax return. If you are an employee, there is no separate NYC return.

Customer:

I will file NY state tax retrun as non-resident.

TaxWhisperer :

Right. And that takes care of the NYC issue.

Customer:

because I live in pa, my company did not withhold nyc tax on w-2 right ?

Customer:

a bit confusing. last year I lived in and work in NYC. and NY city tax was not withheld on my w-2. In this case, did i have to file NYC return ?

TaxWhisperer :

The NYC is including in your NY state filing. If you were a resident of NYC last year, you should have paid NYC when you filed your taxes. This is regardless of whether or not your employer withheld NYC taxes.

TaxWhisperer :

(That is, I think you are all set with regards XXXXX XXXXX for 2010 and 2011).

TaxWhisperer :

And yes, they will not withhold NYC tax on a non-resident of NYC.

Customer:

sorry to ask you again. Actually I lived in only one month in NY last year. In this case, also i do not have to file nyx tax return ? thanks

Customer:

The NYC is including in your NY state filing. If you were a resident of NYC last year, you should have paid NYC when you filed your taxes. This is regardless of whether or not your employer withheld NYC taxes. - it means that I should have paid nyc in ny state tax return instead of separate nyc tax return ? right

TaxWhisperer :

If you lived in NYC for one month, then you would report that you were a resident and NYC and NY for one month, and a non-resident for the other months. This would result in your owing NYC tax on your wages for that month.

TaxWhisperer :

Right. For the most part, there are a few line items on the NY return that refers to NYC. That's basically it.

Customer:

okay than you for your help

Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP
Charles Markham
Charles Markham
Charles Markham, EA, MST, USTCP