Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife works as an NP in Maine. She gets paid hourly and gets

Customer Question
benefits. She also works in...
My wife works as an NP in Maine. She gets paid hourly and gets benefits. She also works in Mass were she is a fee for service provider. She sets her own schedule. She gets no benefits except the pay. She gets a W-2 from each employer. Each employeer pays socialsecurity tax. Can she deduct milage to Mass as a business deducttion.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
3/12/2012
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer
Your accountant is correct. As an employee your wife could deduct any mileage that was incurred because she was using her car inthe course of her employment but NOT the commuting miles. Miles that you drive to get to your main place of employment are not deductible.

Robin D :

If your wife is leaving her main plave of employment and going to Mass to work then those miles would be deductible

Robin D :

main place* sorry

Customer:

Would her main place of employement be considered the job she makes the most money at, the job she had first? What determines your main place of employment if you have 2 jobs?

Customer:

She leaves here job in Maine and then goes to here job in Mass then back home.

Robin D :

When you have 2 jobs it is not which is the main but if you are leaving one and immediately go to the other. If she is working at the different jobs on different days and is an employee of each (W2 received) then she would not be allowed to use the mileage for either. It is the definition of commuting that counts. Commuting is leaving your home and going to your place of business. That is why she would be allowed the mileage if she left one job and then went directly to the second.

Robin D :

If she leaves home, goes to job, leaves job oes to 2nd job, the miles to the second job would be deductible.

Customer:

What form would you use to deduct those miles?

Robin D :

Provided they were enough to use on the Schedule A.

Robin D :

Form 2106 and then carried to ASchdeule A

Robin D :

Schedule A puts a limit on them though

Robin D :

The amount must be over 2% of Adjusted Gross Income. This means if the amount is $400 and 2% of AGI is $350, you will actually only get $50 on the Schedule A

Robin D :

That is correct

Customer:

So see would include all unreembured exspencres on that form? Lisc, computer etc

Robin D :

Do not forget uniforms

Customer:

Is the millage claim for a round trip?

Robin D :

No just to second job

Customer:

Thanks have a great day

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4