Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How do I look up my IRS CAF number?

Customer Question
How can I find my...

How can I find my CAF number?

Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
3/2/2012
Tax Professional: miketaylor2008,
 replied 5 years ago
miketaylor2008

Are you a tax practitioner who has previously been assigned a CAF number but cannot locate the number?
<br/Customer:
yes

TaylorTech :
The required steps to get to this information is a direct number to there practitioner Priority Service line
<br/Customer:
What is that number?

TaylorTech :
Practitioner Priority Service
Our Practitioner Priority Service is a professional support line ( 1.***-***-**** ) staffed by IRS customer service representatives specially trained to handle practitioners’ accounts questions.

Practitioner Priority Service is a toll-free, accounts-related service for all tax practitioners, nationwide. It is the practitioners’ first point of contact for assistance regarding taxpayers’ account-related issues. The hours of service are weekdays, 7:00 a.m. until 7:00 p.m. your local time (Alaska and Hawaii follow Pacific Time).

It states on the IRS site that this is the correct number to call to obtain your CAF number specifically

Is there anything else I can help you with today?
<br/Customer:
The number i called does not have any information how to retrieve my caf number

TaylorTech :
You must speak to a rep, you will not be able to complete this task with automation unfortunately

Most times you can press 0 and it will put you through to an operator who can direct your call to appropriate person

According to IRS this is the only method to retrieve it

I know phone systems are very annoying and can often leave you frustrated
<br/Customer:
I am doing that now

TaylorTech :
Ok, no problem.
<br/Customer:
No luck they could not retrieve CAF number.

TaylorTech :
What did they tell you?
<br/Customer:
That they could not retrieve the CAF number and to send in a POA and maybe they can track the number that way.

TaylorTech :
May I suggest that I bring this to the attention of the tax professionals here who may be of more help?

miketaylor2008
miketaylor2008
miketaylor2008
miketaylor2008