Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

The new non profit organization I am with is pending approval

The new non profit organization I am with is pending approval from the IRS for 301c tax exempt status. Our 1023 package was submitted in September. We are a nonprofit for charity and educational purposes only. We are going to file the 990 post card since we grossed less than $25,000 for 2011. Is this correct or should we be doing something else as well?

We paid our state license and city licenses for Alexandria, Virginia. This is where our business is located. Do we have to file Virginia Taxes?

Thanks
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lindie-mod replied 5 years ago.
Hi, I’m a moderator for this topic and I wonder whether you’re still waiting for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will do my best to find an Expert to assist you right away. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I AM STILL WAITING ON AN ANSWER.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
DO YOU NEED ANYTHING ELSE FROM ME BEFORE I CAN GET AN ANSWER?
Sometimes, finding the right Expert can take a little longer than expected and we thank you greatly for your understanding. We’ll be in touch again shortly.
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

We are going to file the 990 post card since we grossed less than $25,000 for 2011. Is this correct or should we be doing something else as well?
Everything you are doing is correct - even the determination letter was not issued yet - you are still 503c3 organization as long as the letter will be issued.

The problem will be only if your application will be rejected.

Your non profit organization should be registered in Virginia - see more information here - http://www.tax.virginia.gov/site.cfm?alias=NPOFAQs

But you will need to provide the determination letter from the IRS

See here - http://www.tax.virginia.gov/taxforms/Business/Registration/R-1.pdf

Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience: Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations