How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask winktax Your Own Question
winktax, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 425
Experience:  18 years experience as an Enrolled Agent, insurance agent, stock broker and financial advisor.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
winktax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I will start receiving social security benefits in July and

This answer was rated:

I will start receiving social security benefits in July and will beworking part time. I currently receive a pension of $300 permonth. Does this pension count as income which affect the total amount I can make under social security?

winktax : Two issues. One, no the $300 per month pension does not affect your social security as far as the limitation on earnings while receiving social security before reaching FRA - Full retirement age -. A person receiving social security who is under FRA is limited in earning no more than $14,640 in earned income (wages, self employment income) when one earns more than $14,640 then one would payback social security $1 for every $2 earned over the limit.
winktax : Two, social security itself can be taxable, up to 85%. This calculation would include all your taxable income including your $300 pension and up to 50% of social security.
winktax : If you are over FRA, there is no limit on the amount of earned income.

so I will be 64 when taking ss - does that mean my pension of $300 plus my part timejob would take meover the$14640 mark and Iwoudl have pay $1 for every$2 over?

winktax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you