Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

An S corp has four shareholders. One shareholder purchased

Customer Question
their stock in the company...
An S corp has four shareholders. One shareholder purchased their stock in the company and paid for the stock with a promissory note, payable to the company; the note is secured by a pledge of the company stock. The shareholder is in default. The pledge agreement allows the secured party (the company) to vote the shares and receive all distributions allocable to those shares while the note is in default. If the company exercises that right and keeps distributions otherwise payable to this shareholder--does the company blow its S-corp election?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2012
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

Yes - that will violate the requirement to have only one class of shares.

The pledge agreement that allows the secured party (the company) to vote - creates a second class of shares and may not be done without approval of all shareholders - however with such approval - it will disqualify S-corporation - and it will be automatically treated as C-corporation.

Relist: Inaccurate answer.
Can you state what exactly is your concern?
Your explanation stated that, in essence, unequal voting rights among S corp shareholders blows the S corp election. It doesn't. Voting rights are irrelevant to S corp elections. Only the right to distributions/dividends must be equal. The question is whether assigning one's right to distributions to the company paying the distributions blows the election.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor