How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3556
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I receive alimony and child support. I am unemployed and receive

Resolved Question:

I receive alimony and child support. I am unemployed and receive no other assistance. I paid and interest only mortgage and all property taxes for 2011. Am I entitled to a refund?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 5 years ago.
Hello, THANK YOU for choosing Just Answer. My goal is to help make your life...a little...LESS taxing.

No, you would not be entitled to a refund because you did not pay any monies into the system (withheld federal/state tax). As the alimony is taxable to you, the child support is not. If the alimony payments exceed the income threshold amount to be required to file a return, you must file a tax return. Minimum income requirements are based on age and filing status. As for the mortgage interest, mortgage interest is a credit that reduces your tax liability. For instance, if you owe, let's say $1,550.00, the mortgage interest deduction will reduce, or eliminate the amount that you owe, but on it's own, the mortgage interest deduction does not generate a refund.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.

Thank you.
Tax.appeal.168 and 7 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you