Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How does this affect filing status.....they are trying to load

Customer Question
up the child support amount...
How does this affect filing status.....they are trying to load up the child support amount and much less for alimony. This obviously helps her and disadvantages me. My income is relatively high and hers will be very low (since the large amount of support will not be counted as income). With that said I am requesting all 3 deductions are for me. Only seems fair. If I claim all three, could she still claim head of household and take advantage of the child tax credits?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2012
Tax Professional: Lawyer Lori, Attorney replied 5 years ago
Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Attorney

Lawyer Lori :

I'm sorry, but I am not a tax expert and, therefore will opt out and refer this to another expert.

Lawyer Lori
Lawyer Lori, Attorney
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer.

The IRS recognizes the custodial parent (the parent the child actually lives with) as the taxpayer allowed to claim a dependent.This arrangement should be specified in writing in the divorce decree or separation agreement papers. If one parent claims the child as a dependent, the other parent may be able to claim the Head of Household filing status if the child lives with that parent for more than half the year.
Your ex-spouse will be required to sign the Form 8332 releasing the dependent(s) to you.
The non-custodial parent would then be able to claim:

• the dependent's personal exemption,
  • child tax credit and additional child tax credit, and
  • tuition and fees deduction or the education tax credits

Even after releasing the claim to a dependent, the custodial parent would still be eligible to claim the following child-related tax benefits:

• head of household filing status
  • child and dependent care tax credit
  • earned income credit, and
  • exclusion for dependent care benefits

I sincerely XXXXX XXXXX information is helpful and thank you in advance for clicking ACCEPT.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4