Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

how is the value of a donated item determined to comply with

Customer Question
non-profit regulations to determine what...
how is the value of a donated item determined to comply with non-profit regulations to determine what can be legally deducted from income tax by the donor.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2012
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer

Robin D :

The main piece of information needed is Fair Market Value. Then the type of item donated and the organization receiving is important. The IRS has a publication that covers determining the value of donated items, IRS pub 561.
Appraisals are not necessary for items of property for which you claim a deduction of $5,000 or less. There is an exception, you must include with your return a qualified appraisal of any single item of clothing or any household item that is not in good used condition or better, and for which you deduct more than $500.

Robin D :

Determining the value of donated property would be a simple matter if you could rely only on fixed formulas, rules, or methods. Usually it is not that simple.

Robin D :

The FMV of used household goods, such as furniture, appliances, and linens, is usually much lower than the price paid when new.

Used clothing and other personal items are usually worth far less than the price you paid for them. The price that buyers of used items actually pay in used clothing stores, such as consignment or thrift shops, is an indication of the value.
Jewelry and gems are of such a specialized nature that it is almost always necessary to get an appraisal by a specialized jewelry appraiser.

Robin D :

I hope this information is useful but please let me know if you have a more specific question before you click ACCEPT.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4