Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

i am an insurer trying to guarantee the vendor i pay is associated

Customer Question
with the FEIN he has...
i am an insurer trying to guarantee the vendor i pay is associated with the FEIN he has submitted. In essence, how can I find independant confirmation of who belongs to a FEIN?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2012
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for uisng Just Answer
There are sites on the internet that (for a fee) claim to verify the number. The IRS will not verify an EIN for anyone other than the business it was assigned to.
You are required to obtain the number from the vendor, the IRS will advise if the number is XXXXX If the number is XXXXX then the IRS will require that inthe future you withhold on the payments to the vendor.

After the submission of Form 1099 information returns, the IRS will send you a CP2100 or a

CP2100A Notice and a listing of incorrect Name/TIN(s) reported on those forms.

Robin D :

You have 15 business days from the date of the CP2100A or CP2100 Notice, or the date you

received it (whichever is later), to send a “B” Notice to a payee. For incorrect TINS you only have to

send a “B” Notice to a payee whose Name/TIN combination and account number on your records

agrees with the combination that IRS identified as incorrect.

Robin D :

You are required to request the information, if it is not correct the IRS will let you know then it will be up to the vendor to correct the information or suffer backup withholding on future payments, should you continue to deal with them. I hope this information is helpful. Thank you in advance for clicking ACCEPT.

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4