Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

In filling out turbo tax 2011 I dont follow where I put my

Customer Question
In filling out turbo tax...
In filling out turbo tax 2011 I don't follow where I put my son's SSA-1099 of $12,084. I am disabled and he gets money while he's still in high school, although he is 18 as of Sept 21.?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
3/1/2012
Tax Professional: InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer replied 5 years ago
InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer

InfoTaxes :

Hello and thank you for using justanswer.com

InfoTaxes :

Are you using turbo tax online?

Customer: No
InfoTaxes :

Are you using the CD?

Customer: Yes
InfoTaxes :

The reason I'm asking is because it is different

InfoTaxes :

You will need to do the following

InfoTaxes :

In the search box you will type SSA-1099

InfoTaxes :

and after that all you need to is enter the information

InfoTaxes :

the form will be there for you as soon as you type SSA-1099 and click search

InfoTaxes :

Try it and let me know if it works, I will be here waiting.

Customer:

it comes up but it doesn't tell me what to do with multiple ones

Customer:

i take that back it says if you have more than one add them up but I have one and he has one

Customer:

do I add my box 5 with his box 5?

InfoTaxes :

His SSA in 2011 was $12084?

Customer:

yes and mine was 24,186

Customer:

his in his name as is mine in my name

Customer:

when he was a minor it showed up in my name for him

InfoTaxes :

Is he disable?

InfoTaxes :

Disabled? sorry

Customer:

no I am 100%. The disability insurance I have had me file to have SS pay instead of them carrying it all

Customer:

it would be nice if it was his becasue then it would be tax free

InfoTaxes :

But the SSA is on his name?

InfoTaxes :

SSi payments are not taxable

Customer:

in his name this year because he turned 18 in September. In the past it was in my name receiving for him...

InfoTaxes :

Are those SSI? Suplemental social security income? if those payments are SSI are not taxable

Customer:

i dont think so

Customer:

no the literature says no SSI was imncluded

InfoTaxes :

Let me opt out for another expert to help I have to leave my office right now and I want you to get the help you need, please give a minute!

Customer:

Its called social security benefit statement

Customer:

i'm going to bed

Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 5 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Hi and welcome to Just Answer!

That is not Supplemental Security Income - because Supplemental Security Income is not reported on form 1099SSA.

That is Social Security benefits paid to your dependent son because of your disability.

These benefits are paid and reported on your son's name and with his SSN - so that is his income - not yours - and you do not need to report that income on your income tax return.

If your son files his income tax return - that income would be reported. However if that is his only income - Supplemental Security benefits are not taxable - and your son is not required to file his tax return.

Let me know if you need any help.

Is this some kind of short term exception? Last year it was benifits for him but it was tied to my SSN because he was a minor. This year he is an adult and its his income.
?
Is this some kind of short term exception?
Exception from what?
That is not your taxable income - do not report it on your tax return - you do not need any exception.
Last year it was benefits for him but it was tied to my SSN because he was a minor. This year he is an adult and its his income.
That is his income even it was paid based on your SSA record ( tied to your SSN) - so regardless if he is a manor or not - that is HIS income. However if that is his only income - none are taxable - and your son is not required to file his tax return.
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
thank you
You are welcome. Sorry for confusions.
Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor