Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am a sales rep for a national food company. As a job requirement,

I changed regions which required...
I am a sales rep for a national food company. As a job requirement, I changed regions which required that my family and I move. We moved approximately 400 miles. As a regional rep, our offices are in our homes. Can I deduct the moving expenses? Also, can I take the home office deduction when I am paid as a W-2 employee?
3/1/2012
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent

Greetings,

From what you have told me your old workplace was in your former home and your new workplace is in your new home. So long as the distance from your former home to your hew home meets the distance test these moving expenses can be deducted (subject, of course to the time test, as usual).

Since you do not now, and never did, work in the corporate office that location is not relevant to your new and former locations of work for moving expenses.

Whether or not you can deduct home office expenses as a W-2 employee depends on if the home office is for the convenience of the employer. It is not enough for an employee to choose or prefer to do work at home to allow for home office expenses.

In the past, for documentation a letter from the employer stating that the employee must have an office in the home as there is no employer provided office (or the home office is a requirement eve when there is a company office) has been procured and kept if ever needed in an examination.

See http://www.irs.gov/taxtopics/tc509.html for more details on the deduction:

"An employee may only deduct business-use-of-the-home expenses when the business part of the home is used regularly and exclusively and for the employer's convenience."

Please ask if you need clarification.

Thank you.

jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
jgordosea
jgordosea
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent