How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask jgordosea Your Own Question
jgordosea, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3161
Experience:  I've prepared all types of taxes since 1987.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
jgordosea is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a sales rep for a national food company. As a job requirement,

This answer was rated:

I am a sales rep for a national food company. As a job requirement, I changed regions which required that my family and I move. We moved approximately 400 miles. As a regional rep, our offices are in our homes. Can I deduct the moving expenses? Also, can I take the home office deduction when I am paid as a W-2 employee?



From what you have told me your old workplace was in your former home and your new workplace is in your new home. So long as the distance from your former home to your hew home meets the distance test these moving expenses can be deducted (subject, of course to the time test, as usual).


Since you do not now, and never did, work in the corporate office that location is not relevant to your new and former locations of work for moving expenses.


Whether or not you can deduct home office expenses as a W-2 employee depends on if the home office is for the convenience of the employer. It is not enough for an employee to choose or prefer to do work at home to allow for home office expenses.

In the past, for documentation a letter from the employer stating that the employee must have an office in the home as there is no employer provided office (or the home office is a requirement eve when there is a company office) has been procured and kept if ever needed in an examination.

See for more details on the deduction:

"An employee may only deduct business-use-of-the-home expenses when the business part of the home is used regularly and exclusively and for the employer's convenience."


Please ask if you need clarification.

Thank you.







jgordosea and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you