Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I made a loan to a small business a couple of years ago. Very

Customer Question
I made a loan to...
I made a loan to a small business a couple of years ago. Very few payments have been made. I am wondering if I can write off any of the debt if I consider it a bad debt. The loan was in excess of $200K.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/1/2012
Tax Professional: Jax Tax, Tax Attorney replied 5 years ago
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney

Jax Tax : If you make a loan that is ultimately not paid, yes you can right it off as a capital loss on sch D.
Jax Tax : To take the loss, it must be clear that it will not be paid. You should deduct it in the year you realize that it has gone belly up.
Jax Tax : So to summarize, yes. It is reported on schedule D.
Jax Tax
Jax Tax
Jax Tax, Tax Attorney