How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask PDtax Your Own Question
PDtax, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4622
Experience:  35 years tax experience, including four years at a Big 4 firm.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
PDtax is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband filed our joint tax return without my signature

Customer Question

My husband filed our joint tax return without my signature and deposited it into a bank account that only has his name on it. I have no access to this account. I never have signed our tax form since they required a passcode per applicant, instead of a signature Dianne P Vero Beach, fl
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  PDtax replied 5 years ago.

PDtax :

hi from just answer.


There is no answer to my question


What are my rights????????????????????????????????????????

PDtax :

ok, are you still married/separated/divorced?

PDtax :

how did he get a pin for you?


Married right now. 3 children involved, 2 at home under 18. he filed electronically and deposited it into his account without my consent. irs says joint filings have to have each party provide a passcode for identity and then his bank requires both signatures for paper deposits but let this go through without my knowledge

PDtax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Expert:  PDtax replied 5 years ago.
Since he forged your permission, he's wrong. I would contact IRS if you chose, but unless he turns a bunch of $ over, the police will be your best bet.

If they do not want to act on the criminal act of e-forgery, they will tell you how to proceed in civil court. Legal aid or other attorney will then sue him civilly for $ if you choose to go that way.

If you want IRS or the bank to act, they will also act, The bank may freeze the funds pending resolution, which might bring this to a quick resolution. IRS may act on the e-fraud, but their action may take a lot of time and the funds may be gone by then.

I see you have Accepted already. Thanks. Let me know if there's more I can add.