How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask socrateaser Your Own Question
socrateaser, Lawyer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 38895
Experience:  Retired (mostly)
Type Your Tax Question Here...
socrateaser is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I started a Roth in 2006. In 2008, I transferred the Roth

Resolved Question:

I started a Roth in 2006. In 2008, I transferred the Roth to Vanguard where my 403b was held. In 2010, I converted 140,000 in the 403b to the Roth (value 7,000). Federal Taxes were not withheld. In 2011, I withdrew 47,000 from the Roth to pay federal and state taxes on the conversion. I am 62. I now have a 1099 from Vanguard for the 47,000 withdrawal. Box 1: Gross Distribution, says ROTH IRA PRIME MONEY 47,000. Box 2a: Taxable Amount, says MKT FUND. Box 2b: Taxable Amount Not Determined, has an X. BOX 7 Distribution code is T. My 2011 income was 60,000 from employment and 24,000 from pension after I stopped working. Will I be taxed on the 1099 47,000 at the federal or state level? I live in Nebraska. Thank you.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.
You will be taxed at both your federal and state ordinary income tax rate. unless when you make your original contributions to the 403(b) they were taxed such that the account would be treated in the same manner as a Roth IRA. In the latter case, you would have no tax liability.

The reason why Vanguard did not withhold or determine tax liability is because it has no information about your original contributions, since Vanguard was the transferee custodian.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne, if the account was originally tax deferred, then your distribution is taxable.

Hope this helps.

NOTICE: My goal here is to educate the public about the law. Please help me in this effort by clicking Accept for my Answer to your Question. If you have a subscription account, clicking Accept does not create any additional charge. It merely gets me credit for my Answer.

And, if you need to contact me again, please put my user id on the title line of your question (“To Socrateaser”), and the system will send me an alert. Thanks!

socrateaser and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions