How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15747
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What to do when dependent child claim himself on his tax return?

Customer Question

What to do when dependent child claim himself on his tax return? He was not supposed to claim himself on his income tax. He is 18 years old, and he made $6000 dollars in 2011. However, I never got any of that money for support. I told him yesterday to claim "zero" on his income tax. But he said, he already did his taxes at H&R block and claimed himself. What to do? I supported him over half 50 percent in 2011 and I'm intitled to claim him on my taxes when I do them. Thanks,

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Robin D :

If your child still lived with you, was under 19and you provided more than half of his support he needs to file a 1040X to remove his persona;l exemption from his return. You will not be allowed to e-file so you will need to mail in your return and claim him as a dependent. Next year if he is not a full time student, lives on his own and makes more than the personal exemption amount (2011 is $3700) then he can claim himself . Even if someone else can claim you as a dependent and does not, a person is not legally allowed to claim their own personal exemption.

Robin D :

I sincerely hope this information is helpful and thank you in advance for clicking ACCEPT.

Robin D :

Please advise your son to amend his return by filing Form 1040X. You cannot have him as a dependent and he claim his own personal exemption too.