How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephanie B. Your Own Question
Stephanie B.
Stephanie B., Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 556
Experience:  MTax, EA, QuickBooks Proadvisor. Over 15 years accounting and tax experience specializing in individual and small business.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephanie B. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My child support ended in May of 2010. My triplets turned 19

Customer Question

My child support ended in May of 2010. My triplets turned 19 in June 2010. My son went to boot camp in July 2010 through November 2010. My daughters enrolled and are full-time college students. My ex wants to have me sign the tax form that allows him to claim all three children for 2010 stating he has paid more than 50% of their living expenses. Other than the child support which ended in May 2010, he has assisted the girls with some of their rent while in college from September 2010 through December 2010. He has paid nothing toward his son's expenses. My attorney has said he does not think he fits the more than 50% rule nor do I. He is now threatening court action (this is nothing new from him!), but I need a literal translation of the tax rules regarding this.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephanie B. replied 5 years ago.

Stephanie B. :

Thank you for using Just Answer.

There are two terms under which to claim a dependent, qualifying child and qualifying relative. If the children were in school any part of five calendar five months of the year in question, they can still be considered qualifying children.

In order to determine if a dependent is a qualifying child, the following tests must be passed.

1) Relationship test - Since they are your children they pass this test.

2) Member of household test – Must have lived with you for more than half the year (temporary absence for school is still considered living with you over half the year)

3) Age test-Must be under 19 at the end of the year or under 24 if a full-time student during any part of 5 calendar months of the year.

4) Support test- The child cannot provide over half of his/her own support in the year.

The custodial parent is the parent with which the child resides with over half of the year. If you are the custodial parent and the children qualify as qualifying children to you, then you don’t have to sign the 8332 giving the right to the exemption to your ex-husband unless you choose to do so. If you allow him to claim the children as dependents, he will get their dependency exemption along with their education credits (providing there are education credits to receive). You will still be entitled to head of household deduction and earned income credit if you qualify.

Here is a link to the IRS website for EIC regarding divorced/separated couples that will also take you to additional links if needed.

If this answers your question, please click the accept button as this is the only way we get paid for the assistance we provide to you.

If you need more clarification, please let me know. If I am not available at the time, I will be.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you and I look forward to your response.