How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Bill Your Own Question
Bill, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3153
Experience:  EA, CEBS - 35 years experience providing financial advice
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Bill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i had a annuity i cashed in was for325000.00 i took

Resolved Question:

i had a annuity i cashed in was for325000.00 i took it out at 288000.00 can i turn that loss in on my taxes.i am 55 so i also have to pay 10% pentaly
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.

Assuming it was a nonqualified (meaning it was not a retirement account such as an IRA or 403(b)) annuity then you could only claim the loss as a itemized miscellaneous deduction subject to 2% of your adjusted gross income (AGI). Only the amount of your miscellaneous deductions in excess of 2% of your AGI are actually deductible on Schedule A.


The 10% penalty would not apply since it only applies to income on the annuity and you have a loss.


From IRS Publication 575 -



Losses. You may be able to claim a loss on your return if you receive a lump-sum distribution that is less than the plan participant's cost. You must receive the distribution entirely in cash or worthless securities. The amount you can claim is the difference between the participant's cost and the amount of the cash distribution, if any.


To claim the loss, you must itemize deductions on Schedule A (Form 1040). Show the loss as a miscellaneous deduction subject to the 2%-of-adjusted-gross-income limit.


You cannot claim a loss if you receive securities that are not worthless, even if the total value of the distribution is less than the plan participant's cost. You recognize gain or loss only when you sell or exchange the securities.


A loss under a nonqualified plan, such as a commercial variable annuity, is deductible in the same manner as a lump-sum distribution.

Bill and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you