How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave CPA Your Own Question
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 840
Experience:  Vast knowledge within the accounting/tax industry
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dave CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son (who is in college) lives with his mom and she claims

This answer was rated:

My son (who is in college) lives with his mom and she claims him as a dependent. I pay for his room and board at school. Is there any way I can use this as a deduction on my teax return?



Welcome to Just Answer


I'm sorry, but if his mom claims him as a dependent, than you can't any education deductions or credits. I have enclosed the IRS Pub 970 on this topic for Tax Benefits for Education.


Let me know if you have any questions.

Dave CPA and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you