How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dave CPA Your Own Question
Dave CPA
Dave CPA, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 840
Experience:  Vast knowledge within the accounting/tax industry
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Dave CPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am not sure what tax withholding number to use on my tax

Resolved Question:

I am not sure what tax withholding number to use on my tax forms. Last year I used 4, since I have 2 small kids and I was unemployed for 1.5 prior to July 2011. Since July 2011 I have been working as a contractor, on W2, and now that the new year has started, I would like to make sure that enough tax is collected from me, so that I won't have to pay a lot back when I have to do my taxes next year. Can you please advise what are my options and what I should use for 2012? In 2012, I will also get divorced and be a single mom with both my little kids.
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Dave CPA replied 5 years ago.



Welcome to Just Answer,


If you ever have any doubt, you can just put 0. This allowance would withhold the most from you pay. You would get this back as a refund if you overpaid when you file your return.


If you don't to use zero, I have attached a worksheet from the IRS than can help. They also have a withholding calculator on their website, which is useful as well.,,id=96196,00.html


I hope this helps.

Dave CPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you