Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I owe and am paying on taxes from 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005.

I have a payment agreement...
I owe and am paying on taxes from 2002, 2003, 2004 and 2005. I have a payment agreement with the IRS. When will I no longer be responsible for 2002 taxes?
2/1/2012
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent

Randall Klein EA :

Hi I can help you!

Randall Klein EA :

When did you file the 2002 return?

Customer:

2005

Randall Klein EA :

When was it filed exactly? (or close)

Customer:

january - not sure of date

Randall Klein EA :

Then the statute of limitations expires 10 years from the date it was accepted. So that would be in 2015

Customer:

I filed all returns on the same day/year. Will they all drop at the same time?

Randall Klein EA :

Yes to 2002 and 2003.

Randall Klein EA :

The 2004 date is April 15, 2015

Randall Klein EA :

THe 2005 is April 15, 2016

Customer:

I have one more question - what do I need to do to stop paying? I am assuming that IRS will keep collecting if I let them.

Randall Klein EA :

After the statute dates, the IRS will stop applying payments to those years and write off any remaining balance.

Randall Klein EA :

Until then they will do whatever they need to collect

Customer:

I will keep paying - better than any of the alternatives. I owe, so not trying to get out of it. Just the amount I owe I have no hope of ever paying completely.

Customer:

thanks for your help! really appreciate the answers.

R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA
R. Klein, EA, Enrolled Agent