How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CGCPA Your Own Question
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3820
Experience:  over 40 years experience in tax matters
Type Your Tax Question Here...
CGCPA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I ask for my income tax return from the social security.

Resolved Question:

How can I ask for my income tax return from the social security. I am retired and did not not get aq form for last year
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. I am here to help you resolve your tax and finance concerns. Please feel free to ask anytime you need extra help.


Social Security will not have a copy of the return. The proper source to obtain this is the IRS. Here is some information about getting a copy or transcript of the return. The transcript is faster but only provides summary information while the copy is complete. The IRS also cannot give you a copy of your state tax return. For that you will need to provide me your state of residence last year and I will locate that copy source for you.


Topic 156 - Copy of Your Tax Return - How to Get One

If you need an exact copy of a previously filed and processed tax return and all attachments (including Form W-2), you should complete Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return, and mail it to the address listed in the instructions, along with a $57.00 fee for each tax period requested. The check or money order for the fee should be made payable to the "United States Treasury". Copies are generally available for returns filed in the current and past six years. Copies of jointly filed tax returns may be requested by either spouse and only one signature is required. Allow 60 calendar days to receive your copies.

Most needs for tax return information can be met with a computer print-out of your return information called a "transcript". A transcript may be an acceptable substitute for an exact copy of a return by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and lending agencies for student loans and mortgages. A "tax return transcript" will show most line items contained on the return as it was originally filed. If you need a statement of your tax account which shows changes that you or the IRS made after the original return was filed, however, you must request a "tax account transcript". Both transcripts are generally available for the current and past three years and are provided free of charge. The period in which you will receive the transcript varies from within ten to thirty business days from the time the IRS receives your request for the tax return or tax account transcript.

You can obtain a free transcript on the Website ( by clicking Order a Transcript under the Online Services option, or by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNNand following the prompts in the recorded message, or by completing and mailing a request for a transcript to the address listed in the instructions.

The IRS has created a new Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript, to order a transcript of a Form 1040 series return. The IRS created this streamlined form to help those taxpayers trying to obtain, modify or refinance a home mortgage. Transcripts may also be mailed to a third party, such as a mortgage institution, if specified on the form. You must sign and date the form giving your consent for the disclosure. Businesses, partnerships or individuals who need transcript information from other forms, such as Form W-2 or Form 1099, can use Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return, to obtain the information. These transcripts may also be mailed to a third party if there is consent for the disclosure.

Forms can be downloaded by using the following links or ordered by calling(NNN) NNN-NNNN If you are a taxpayer impacted by a federally declared disaster, the IRS will waive the usual fees and expedite requests for copies of tax returns for people who need them to apply for benefits or to file amended returns claiming disaster-related losses. For additional information, refer to Topic 107, or call the IRS Disaster Assistance Hotline at(NNN) NNN-NNNN


Form Links:

  • Form 4506T-EZ, Short Form Request for Individual Tax Return Transcript
  • Form 4506-T (PDF), Request for Transcript of Tax Return
  • Form 4506 (PDF), Request for Copy of Tax Return


Customer: replied 5 years ago.
all I need is how much the social security paid me last year I think it is a 1099 I am in
florida, Miami
Expert:  CGCPA replied 5 years ago.

Then you can simply go to this link and follow the on screen instructions.


CGCPA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions