Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

About pay attorney fee At 2007 I got pro bono attorney for

Customer Question
About pay attorney fee At 2007...
About pay attorney fee

At 2007 I got pro bono attorney for get help about something with health issue vs county. This case take around 4 years and finally I win this case. I got relief and modifications from the law that help me. County send 2000 dlls like a kind of compensation from this case and set privacy standard about don't talking about even when was a public case at court.

Now I got a letter from county that I need pay taxes from this 2000 dlls and attorney taxes fee from county that they spend around 175000 dlls at my case. They told me that send me a letter with a form 1099, now I want to know if I need pay around this money.

Because I got attorney pro bono case because I don't have money but I want not get problems with IRS.

I hope comments about what I can do about this.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
2/1/2012
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 5 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer
If you received the 1099MISC the amount should be listed in Box 3 as Other Income. You will be required to add this to your return for the year you receive the 1099MISC. You will enter it on Line 21 of your 1040. If by some chance they enter the amount onthe 1099MISC under Box 7 as Nonemployee Compensation enter it on Line 21 of your 1040 but do not apply Self Employment.
The $2000 will be added to your other income for the year.

Robin D :

I hope this information is helpful and thank you in advance for clicking ACCEPT

Customer:

But what happen about the 175 000 that making me crazy thinking about

Customer:

I need pay the taxes from this amount? this is income?

Robin D :

What amount is going to be on the 1099MISC

Customer:

Are two letters one for the 2000 and other for 175000.

Robin D :

Just the $2000 or is the total amount $175000 on the 1099MISC

Customer:

are two letters

Robin D :

Did you lose the case and the county is charging you for the amount they spent to represent themselves

Customer:

I dont take off this money from my pocket I dont understand why I should be pay tax fees

Customer:

I win the case vs county. the county paid my attorney that represent me. the 175000 last year

Robin D :

The the $175000 is used as attorney fees on your Schedule A as a deduction

Robin D :

You will not pay tax on that portion

Customer:

then I will not pay nothing or just a part from this? or how is working? or for be deduction I will get refund when this year my unemployed was around 3000 plus Im middle divorce and my wife file taxes like marry but separated then how can works for me?

Customer:

3000 was my total income and was from unemployed

Robin D :

You will report it all on your return but will also file the Schedule A to show the attorney fees. You must report the unemployment too as income. You will file Married Filing Separate too if that is what your spouse did.

Customer:

this means I can get refund or I will pay?

Robin D :

I do not know if you will get a refund or not. It will depend on your total return information and other items that you can use on your Schedule A and also how much withholding you had.

Robin D :

If you did not have anything withheld tthen you will not recieve any refund

Robin D :

You can always come back to this CHAT even after you click ACCEPT

Customer:

but I need pay about this fee?

Robin D :

You need to report it all and then deduct using the Schedule A, you will report the $2000 too You may have no tax liability when you complete the return based on exemptions and deductions

Customer:

Ok if I got doubt I will back :) thanks

Robin D :

Thank you for clicking accept on thsi session

Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4