How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Stephen G. Your Own Question
Stephen G.
Stephen G., Sr Income Tax Expert
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7194
Experience:  Extensive Experience with Tax, Financial & Estate Issues
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Stephen G. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I work for a government agency and use my own car for county

Resolved Question:

I work for a government agency and use my own car for county business. They pay milage reimbursement but do not meet the IRS standards which were raised on July 1, 2011. Can I claim a deduction for the difference between the amount I get and the higher IRS standard?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Stephen G. replied 5 years ago.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Hi & thanks for using our service. I'll do my best to give you a complete & accurate answer. Please ask me to clarify anything you don't understand.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Yes it would be a miscellaneous itemized deduction which would flow from form 2106.

Stephen E. Grizey :

So you need to complete that form which will give you the benefit of the higher mileage rate, less the amount that you are reimbursed.

Stephen E. Grizey :

Please remember to "ACCEPT". Feedback, if you have time & bonuses where you think they are warranted are always most appreciated. I'll be happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Stephen E. Grizey :

As far as what you are being reimbursed being "legal", yes it is; they can reimburse you for whatever they want & you accept as part of your job.


Thank You

Stephen G. and 3 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you