How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Richard Your Own Question
Richard, Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 55444
Experience:  29 years of experience as a tax, real estate, and business attorney.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Richard is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I along with my best friend purchased a home in 1993 for $135,000.

This answer was rated:

I along with my best friend purchased a home in 1993 for $135,000. We bought the house under right of suvivorship. He lived in the house I lived in another house I had purchased solely in 1998. He passed away in Jan of 2011. I sold the home in March of 2011 for $265,000. I paid all expenses including mortgage payments(1st and 2nd) utilities and all repairs needed to close. It closed April 18th. This was not my primary residence as I still have my own home. Are the capital gains figured on what I walked away with (profit) at the closing table and am I allowed to deduct all expenses that I had to pay? I did use a real estate company.

Good morning. Each of you had an original basis in your house equal to 1/2 of $135,000 = $67,500. You would have increased your basis by any improvements to the property, but not repairs, utilities or mortgage payments. When your best friend died and you inherited his 1/2, the basis in that 1/2 was increased to the fair market value of the property times your basis in his 1/2 is now 1/2 of $265,000 = $132,500. So, your taxable long term capital gain = Sale price (less closing costs) in excess of your basis ($67,500 + $132,500 + any improvements you made to the property).



I hope this has given you information that has been helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck!


If you have a follow-up question, please remember that there might be a delay between your follow up questions and my answers because I may be helping others or taking a break.


If I have adequately answered your question, even though the answer might not have been the one for which you hoped, I would appreciate it if you would please click the GREEN ACCEPT button so that I receive credit for my work; otherwise, though you have made a deposit, I do not receive credit.


If you need additional clarification on this question after clicking ACCEPT, please do not hesitate to click Reply and I will be happy to do what I can to help you further. Thanks for allowing me to be of service to you.


Please be aware that the information provided here is not legal advice. Rather it is simply general information. All states have intricacies in their laws and any information given is simply information only and specifically is not intended to be, nor does it constitute, legal advice. This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship with you. I hope this answer has been helpful to you.



Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't understand. Will I be paying capital gains on $265,000 the sales price or the $84,000 which is what I received at closing.
You will have a gain of the $265,000 less your basis of $200,000 ... $65,000 less the closing costs of the sale. What you receive after the payment of your mortgage owed is not relevant.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

In your professional opinion should I have a tax attorney file my claim this year vice a CPA? The last person I want to get in trouble with is the IRS.

No...this is not going to be complicated for them....the CPA can easily handle this.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thank you - I appreciate your time.
My pleasure. You take care.
Richard and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you