Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

Can 99 be claimed on a W-4 for one check?

You may claim any number of allowances on form W4 if you are eligible.

Generally - you will claim two allowances.

However if you have additional deductions - you will claim one allowance per each $3700 of additional deductions.

You may change W4 form at any time by filing a new W4 form - and it will be in effect when you submit it to your employer.

Some employers allow to update W4 form online.

Please be aware that W4 form only affect 
withholding from regular wages. For supplemental wages - such as bonuses - employer normally do not use W4 form - but withheld at flat rate 25% for federal and 10.23% for the State of California.

Read full interaction below »

Can I claim 99 on my W4 form just for one paycheck? I live and work in California.

Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.

However if you have additional deductions - you will claim one allowance per each $3700 of additional deductions.

Please be aware that W4 form only affect withholding from regular wages. For supplemental wages - such as bonuses - employer normally do not use W4 form - but withheld at flat rate 25% for federal and 10.23% for the State of California.

Let me know if you need any help.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

That's somewhat answers my question but I need to know in Section 5 on my W-4 if can I put 99 for one check?

Expert:  Lev replied 5 years ago.
you may put any number of allowances on line 5 - if you qualify.
To qualify for 99 allowances - you should have allowable deductions on $3700*99=$366,300
And yes - you may change W4 form after one payment by submitting another W4 form.

However - as I mentioned above - if the payment you are concern about is a bonus or other supplemental wages - W4 form will not affect your withholding on that payment.
Let me know if you need any clarification.