How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15182
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We would like to know what is the current legislation (if any,

Resolved Question:

We would like to know what is the current legislation (if any, which I don't think there is one) in regards XXXXX XXXXX photographers (especially wedding photographers), some people say that only should be paid the "tangibles" and some other people say that it should be on everything. Consider a wedding event: A professional photographer will sell to the couple a photography package. These packages usually consist on:
- Complementary engagement session (1 hour)
- 8 hours of shooting the day of the wedding(plus a second potographer/assistant)
- DVD with images
- Image Hosting (for them to purchase prints online)
- Some prints
- Wedding album

A package like this will cost approximately (depending the photographer) $3k to 6k. Usually requires a retainer to hold the date.

It was a ruling against a photographer in Alabama a few years back and they had to pay a lot of money on uncollected taxes (see

What's the reality? What is taxable and what is not?

Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 5 years ago.

Robin D :

Hello and thank you for using Just Answer
The Alabama sales tax is a license tax paid for the privilege of selling tangible personal property at retail in Alabama. It is also a license tax for the privilege of operating places of entertainment or amusement.
If you are referring to the Thigpen case as cited by the Photographic compnay in Opelika the finding was as follows:


Taxable "gross proceeds" is defined at Code of Ala. 1975,


23-1(a)(6) as "[T]he value proceeding or accruing from the sale of

tangible personal property . . . without any deduction on account

of . . . labor or service costs . . . or any other expenses

whatsoever . . . ". That is, labor or services performed by the

seller as a part of and necessary to complete the sale are taxable.

A fixed rate fee for services or labor that is not based on or

contingent on the subsequent sale of property is not taxable.

From my understanding the sales tax applies to total. The photography just does not fall under the professional services (although we could argue that is not going to change teh state's opinion).

Robin D :

I thnak you in advance for clicking ACCEPT

Robin D :

thank* sorry* not thnak

Robin D. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions