Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am married, but seperated. My W-4 I claimed one. No dependants.

Customer Question
I pay rent for my...
I am married, but seperated. My W-4 I claimed one. No dependants. I pay rent for my home. My gross income as 50,535.87 and my Federal deductions was $5305.64. I owe the IRS $1079.00. How can this be?
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/1/2012
Tax Professional: InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer replied 5 years ago
InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer

InfoTaxes :

Hello and thank you for using justanswer.com

InfoTaxes :

Did you file MFJ or MFS ( married filing separate)

Customer:

married filing deperate

InfoTaxes :

If you file MFS your tax is generally higher

InfoTaxes :

You can't take most of the credit like EIC or education credits

Customer:

I've been seperated for a little over a year. Do I have any other option?

InfoTaxes :

Are you legally separate?

InfoTaxes :

Your filing status is single if, on the last day of the year, you are unmarried or legally separated from your spouse under a divorce or separate maintenance decree, and you do not qualify for another filing status.

InfoTaxes :

If you have a dependent child you may qualify for the head of household.

Customer:

I am not legally separated. Therefore the calculations are correct? DO I need to change my W-4 to zero then?

Customer:

no dependants

InfoTaxes :

The best thing will be for you to change your deduction to zero

Customer:

Will that make much difference for next year?

InfoTaxes :

Let me know if you need more help and remember to click ACCEPT if I have answered yourq uestion

InfoTaxes :

Yes, because right now you have one exemption on your W4

InfoTaxes :

and since you make over $50,000 your tax brake is different

Customer:

ok thank you.

InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer
InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes
InfoTaxes, Tax Preparer