How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marvin,EA Your Own Question
Marvin,EA, Enrolled Agent
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 1672
Experience:  Enrolled to Represent Taxpayers Before The IRS
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Marvin,EA is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I understand now that you have to report savings bond interest

Resolved Question:

I understand now that you have to report savings bond interest yearly even if you do not actually cash in the bond. If true How do you get this info to report it and where is it reported?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Marvin,EA replied 5 years ago.

Marvin,EA :

Hello and thanks you for using Just Answer. You must report the interest earned on Form 1040, line 8b. You can find the interest earned each year at


Sorry my question is do you have to report the interest every year or only wnen it matures or you cash it in


I am back

Marvin,EA :

You have the choice of reporting interest earned on savings bonds in several ways. Whenever you report savings bonds interest, it should be included with other interest income on your federal income tax return.

  • Cash Basis Reporting - Federal tax is deferred until the year of final maturity, redemption, or other taxable disposition, whichever is earlier.

  • Accrual Basis Reporting - You report interest annually each year as it accrues. Once you start, you must continue to report interest earned annually for all savings bonds and notes you own and any you may acquire. This may be advantageous for I Bonds in a child's name.



Thank you my friend said that there was a change this year and you had to report interest on an annual basis

Marvin,EA and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you

Related Tax Questions